The beauty about the little black dress is that you can create many dramatic looks with it. You can dress it from office to party with the right accessories.
- Add jewelry. Additions that work well include a necklace that fits the neckline style of the dress, a brooch pinned in a cute spot, or an updo with daring earrings. The list is really endless as far as combos go!
- Put on pantyhose if it would even out your skin tone on your legs, and add a pair of cute shoes. The colors can easily be altered, depending on the look you’re going for. Plain black and unadorned flats look more office casual while a pair of red high-heeled pumps can add a bit of excitement.
- Try an evening look. A little bit of sparkle with costume jewelry can go a long way. Accessorize with jewelery, and you’re good to go.
- Add a small clutch or handbag. A larger bag works for casual wear while a simple clutch in a dazzling color works for dressing up.
- Wear a pair of white satin gloves and pearls with round toe pumps, if it is a shift style dress. Round toe pumps are an important bit for this look. It’s very Audrey Hepburn and romantic, and pointed toes are a bit too fierce for such a soft and retro look.
- Try a very simple pair of black pumps, preferably rounded and a pair of chandelier earring with a dupioni silk wrap. The chandelier earrings and dupioni silk wraps look great when matching and a warm color.
- A belt at the waist creates great emphasis and interest to a plain black dress.
- Wear colored tights, with matching nail polish, hair accessories and/or jewelry to dress up any style of black dress.
- Add a nice silk scarf in a fun color or one with prints or patterns.
- Always keep it clean and ironed. Dry cleaning is a smart option.
- A lint brush is your best friend! If you don’t have one, buy one or try to keep your dress really clean and free from pet hair or lint.
- Change into a different pair of shoes to change the look.
- Wear it with tights in autumn/the fall and winter for warmth or even a bit of color.
- For a casual look put your dress under a tight black skirt, teamed with ankle boots and tights, and perhaps a leather jacket your ready to go!
- Don’t over accessorize; all of the above ideas should be plenty for any outfit.
The fit of the dress is everything since it is so plain… imperfections will stick out more if the dress is too tight or too loose, so take caution and only buy and wear things that will fit you.