Amid the multitude of people eager to have their fashion questions answered and the mob of men and women raising their hands just hoping to be given a “360 critique” by the style guru himself, TLC’s What Not to Wear star host and “Freakin’ Fabulous” author, Clinton Kelly, delightfully distributed a wealth of style knowledge with the crowd that gathered on the Impulse level at Macy’s Union Square, Thursday evening, for the Clinton Kelly and Macy’s “A Night of Style” event. Useful bits and pieces of advice, the latest season trends, and vital knowledge to ensure clothes flatter and don’t fatten were discussed and devoured by the eager fans that ranged from every age and every background.
There were five extremely amazing style tips that I jotted down and just cannot keep all to myself. Read on to see what the stylish VIP thinks Bay Area ladies need to know in order to avoid fashion disasters in our beautiful city by the Bay.
1. Don’t be afraid to mix metals and prints… Just make sure they match. You CAN mix metals and prints together in one outfit. The trick is staying in the same color family or staying within neutral shades.
2. Stick to a faux fur Vest that doesn’t match your hair. With the lovely, stylish faux fur vest trend this fall, (which was showcased by a model for Clinton’s style challenge) Clinton recommends picking out a fur tone that doesn’t match your actual hair color, otherwise you risk “looking like Chewbacca.” He was too funny!
3. Skinny jeans are for people with great butts and thighs. These denim pairs are trends and certainly aren’t for everyone. Clinton stressed that those with different features to accentuate should stick to a classic boot cut or slim-leg jean, which still look chic, and will help you stay looking polished.
4. Brown shoes and black bags or vice versa is fine. This match works as long as the brown is a tan, camel, or light brown – not one shade lighter than black. (e.g., a deep dark brown) Otherwise, it looks like, as Clinton put it, “you dressed in the dark and mixed up the dark brown for black.”
5. Leggings are best worn as hosiery. To stay tasteful and tantalizing, cover up! Or beware and be prepared to show off every flattering and unflattering bulge and bump that fate gave you.
Want more of Clinton’s exceptional advice on style and more? Check out his latest book “Oh No She Didn’t: The Top 100 Style Mistakes Women Make and How to Avoid Them” In stores and online now.